After a surgical procedure or hospitalization, the words we look forward to hearing most are, “Here are your discharge papers – you are free to head home now!” What a sense of relief there is in coming through the front door, sinking into a favorite chair, and relaxing.
Nonetheless, there are often a variety of tasks needed for proper recovery and healing and also to prevent a re-hospitalization. For older adults who live alone, and even for those with family support, it can be challenging to go through all the post-hospitalization recommendations, make follow-up appointments, pick up prescriptions, adjust to any needed dietary or lifestyle, changes and more.
This is where an experienced home care agency, like Home With You Senior Care, the Columbia, MD senior care leader, is invaluable. Our transitional home health care can begin even prior to discharge to make certain every important detail will be looked after. Working with the hospital’s care team, we can formulate and implement a recovery plan to include:
- Scheduling follow-up appointments
- Preparing a list of medications, in conjunction with any allergies and/or dietary restrictions
- Ensuring the fridge and pantry are stocked with healthy foods
- Establishing physical activity routines
- Arranging for any essential medical equipment to be brought to the home
- Outlining any potential side effects and medical issues
After discharge, we are able to:
- Pick up any prescriptions and ensure they are taken just as prescribed
- Plan and prepare meals
- Assist with showers, getting dressed, utilizing the toilet, etc.
- Offer companionship for conversations, puzzles, card games, and other enjoyable activities
- Watch for and report any changes in condition or potential medication side effects
- Take care of light household chores and laundry
- Provide support with walking to avoid falls
- Connect your senior loved one with other local helpful resources
- And a lot more
By making use of the experienced and caring staff at Home With You Senior Care, older adults can reduce the worry that naturally accompanies a hospitalization and focus on obtaining the rest necessary to recover. Not only that, but our services enable seniors to avoid a stay in a rehabilitation facility in order to recover where they are most comfortable: at home.
If an older adult you love is facing a future surgery, give us a call. We’ll be happy to come visit the senior at home and begin to formulate a plan to ensure a smooth transition home again. We can also perform a home safety evaluation and provide recommendations for any changes needed to prevent falls – a frequent and hazardous occurrence after a hospitalization.
Connect with Home With You Senior Care, the Columbia senior care experts, for help and support any time at 410-756-0959. We are here for you, before, during, and after a hospital stay. To learn more about our top-rated home care services and all of the communities we serve, please visit our Locations Served page.