It was not long ago when there was a general assumption that as we grow older, we will naturally need to move into a nursing home or assisted living facility. There is now an increased awareness that living at home during the course of aging with in-home assistance can be a viable option. There’s also more widespread knowledge since the pandemic began that aging at home is the desired and safest choice.
So, how do you determine if senior home care solutions are ideal for someone you love? To begin with, you will want to give consideration to his or her level of functionality in these two areas:
- Activities of Daily Living: These include daily tasks like bathing/showering, getting dressed, getting out of and into a chair or bed, using the bathroom, walking, and eating.
- Instrumental Activities of Daily Living: These tasks consist of cooking, money management, housekeeping, shopping, taking medications properly, using the phone, and transportation.
If an older adult is challenged by some of these types of activities, home care can be very effective in improving both independence and safety. Not only that, but in-home care from an award-winning agency, like Home With You Senior Care, offers countless other benefits, including:
- An increased level of overall wellbeing comes from remaining in the senior’s environment of choice, where she or he is most accustomed.
- An in-home caregiver supplies the socialization which is so beneficial for emotional and physical health. During the isolating months of the pandemic, the necessity for routine social contact became even more glaringly apparent.
- Home care services promote healing after a surgical procedure or hospital stay, and reduce the chance for re-hospitalizations.
- Home care allows older adults and their family members to enjoy more high-quality time together. A caregiver who helps with daily chores and errands frees up family members from these tasks. And frequently, older adults feel more comfortable having personal care needs tended to by a care professional rather than a member of the family.
- Home care services are highly customized, based around each individual’s unique needs, schedule, routines, and requests.
- With the one-on-one care provided by an in-home caregiver, care is not shared with other residents like in a facility setting – meaning needs can be met immediately without waiting for a senior’s turn.
- A healthier lifestyle is attainable for older adults receiving home care. Caregivers can prepare nutritious meals that are appealing, provide medication reminders, offer encouragement and motivation to remain physically active, and so much more.
- With transportation and accompaniment provided by the caregiver, an older adult can remain engaged in the community through outings to fun destinations, visits with friends, lunch dates, religious services and much more.
At Home With You Senior Care, we’re honored to provide our Columbia, MD, senior care services to help make life the best it can be throughout aging. Our caregivers are background checked, fully trained, and experienced in an array of senior care needs at home. Reach out to us any time at 410-756-0959 for a no-cost in-home assessment to discover if our Columbia, MD senior care services are right for an older adult you love. For a full list of all of the communities where we provide care, please visit our Locations Served page.