Did you ever wake up and realize, as soon as you got out of bed, that it was going to be “one of those days?” Maybe you slept through your alarm, tripped over the dog, and then remembered you were out of milk. These minor inconveniences, however, pale in comparison of what over 50% of all adults in the U.S. are facing every day: managing long-term diseases and chronic conditions.
Whether it’s cancer, diabetes, heart disease, dementia, or any one of a number of other serious and debilitating health problems, simply getting through day-to-day life can be a struggle. And not surprisingly, these challenges can make it difficult to maintain a positive outlook on life.
Home With You Senior Care’s award-winning live-in care in Hampstead, Maryland and nearby areas is able to assist in both these areas. We provide hands-on support with all the daily tasks that can become overwhelming, as well as emotional support.
Making Activities of Daily Living Simpler to Manage
Think through your own day to day routine when you’re at home:
- A morning shower
- Cooking breakfast
- Making the bed
- Sorting and taking care of laundry
- Cleaning the house
- Fixing lunch
- Paying bills
- Running to the market along with other errands
- Organizing a closet
- Planning and making dinner
- Cleaning up again!
- Preparing for bed
Now just imagine trying to accomplish all of those tasks while impacted by the side effects of chemotherapy; or while pulling around an oxygen tank; or in the midst of cognitive decline. An in-home caregiver can help with these and other mundane but necessary tasks, freeing up time and energy for the senior to unwind and take part in enjoyable pastimes.
Lifting a Senior’s Spirits
It is quite common for someone battling a chronic health concern to struggle to maintain a life of joy and to fend off depression. Our caregivers provide friendly companionship that lets older adults know they are cared for. Through conversations, exercise programs, participating in interests and hobbies, and just being there to listen when life feels daunting, a caregiving companion brings a breath of fresh air into a senior’s everyday routine.
The following tips can help someone with chronic health needs to feel positive and hopeful:
- Find a sense of purpose. Having purpose in life is vital to our wellbeing. It is a matter of helping a senior discover what she or he is passionate about and pursuing that interest. Get creative in brainstorming ideas or strategies to make life more meaningful: serving others, learning something new, creating videos to capture his / her family history or life lessons to pass along to the next generation.
- Find reasons to be thankful. A simple but effective way to maximize positivity is through journaling. Encourage the senior to begin every day by listing a number of things he or she is grateful for: the scent of fresh blueberry muffins baking, the beauty of the sunrise, an upcoming dinner date with a friend.
- Find activities outside the home. If possible, help the senior enjoy life away from home: a hair or nail appointment, a shopping trip, a visit with relatives and friends. Even a quick walk or time spent on the front porch can be beneficial.
Discover More Ways Home Care Can Help
Reach out to Home With You Senior Care any time at 410-756-0959 for additional helpful tips for managing long-term diseases and health conditions. We would also love to come and meet with you in the comfort of your home to discuss more ways that our caregivers can make each day the very best it can be for older adults at home. To learn more about our award-winning live-in care in Hampstead, Maryland and nearby areas, please contact us today!