As the saying goes, “What happens at Grandma’s stays at Grandma’s!” Being a grandparent just might be one of life’s greatest joys – a chance to experience once more the delight of spending quality time together with the children in your life; only this time around, they are your children’s children, and so the relationships are that much sweeter.
Grandparents Day is September 13 and it is a perfect time to consider the importance of grandparents in the lives of grandkids, together with countless emotional benefits grandchildren receive when they can forge a strong bond with their grandparents – and, vice versa. For example:
Benefits for grandchildren:
- A source of wisdom, friendship, mentoring, and influence.
- Improved emotional support and cohesiveness for the family.
- A link with family heritage and legacy.
- Both emotional and physical support.
Benefits for grandparents:
- Increased socialization and mental wellbeing, including reduced rates of depression.
- A more active lifestyle.
- The chance to present moral guidance and also to share values.
- The rewarding feeling of knowing they’re making an impact in the lives of their family, and also to be needed and wanted.
A recent AARP report shares some interesting facts surrounding the grandparent-grandchild relationship:
- By the age of 65, an astounding 96% of individuals are grandparents. And with our population of seniors exploding with growth, by the year 2030, 20% of all Americans will be 65 or older.
- Grandparents have an average of four to five grandchildren.
- Nearly ¾ of all 8-year-olds in the U.S. will likely have a living great-grandparent by the year 2030.
- 10% of grandparents live with their grandchildren, and 5% are primary caregivers.
There are, nevertheless, several obstacles for grandparents to enjoy close relationships with their grandchildren, the most significant being geographic distance. Over 50% of all grandparents live more than 200 miles away from one or more of their grandchildren. And many older adults are choosing to continue to work later in life, leaving less time available for family.
To overcome these hurdles, seniors are increasingly turning to technology – something that has become particularly important during the COVID-19 pandemic, when self-quarantining was essential for the elderly. As a result, FaceTime, Skype, and Zoom have become household terms, helping enhance bonds even when in-person time together isn’t an option.
If you would like to investigate suggestions for enhancing a grandparent/grandchild relationship, let Home With You Senior Care, the experts in elder care in Columbia, MD, help! Our creative caregiving team can provide family-fun crafts and activity ideas perfect for family visits, prepare meals and take care of housekeeping chores to permit seniors to dedicate quality time and energy to their grandchildren, and more.
Contact us online or give us a call any time at 410-756-0959 to discover how an in-home caregiver from Home With You Senior Care can help older adults live their best possible lives. Ask about a complimentary consultation and learn more about our elder care in Columbia, MD and the surrounding areas, provided within the comfort of home, today!