You have just finished speaking to Mom on the phone, and have a sense something is not completely right. Though it was a nice chat, her lapses in memory were concerning. She reassured you that she’s absolutely fine – that she’s eating very well (despite the fact that she could not remember what she had for lunch), taking her medications, and having no problem keeping up with the household responsibilities. If you’re looking for elderly home care solutions to ensure your loved one is safe and self-sufficient, a good first step is to arrange for an in-home assessment from a reputable home care provider like Home With You Senior Care, offering trusted in-home care and dementia care in Ellicott City, Maryland and nearby areas. This permits an experienced, objective third party professional to speak with your loved one in the familiarity of home, while assessing various critical areas.
The Older Adult’s Overall Wellbeing
Over the course of the consultation, the home care expert will find out how the senior is feeling, both physically and emotionally.
- Is he or she bored or lonely?
- Physically active?
- Balanced and steady, or at risk for a fall?
Additionally, cognitive robustness is assessed.
- Is the older adult forgetful?
- Are there concerns with wandering, agitation, aggression, confusion?
- Does she or he seem capable of successfully managing the household?
Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs)
It’s important for a senior living independently to be able to attend to everyday tasks that fall into two categories: ADLs and IADLs.
ADLs include activities such as:
- Showering/bathing and other personal hygiene needs
- Getting dressed
- Using the toilet
- Moving from bed to chair and throughout the house independently
IADLs are less fundamental, yet still important to independent living, and include:
- Planning and preparing meals
- Shopping and running errands
- Taking medications as prescribed
- Making and receiving telephone calls
- Bill paying/money management
The Home Environment
The in-home consultant can also review the senior’s living space for any possible risks and hazards, such as:
- Issues that could contribute to a fall: low-lying furniture, clutter or electric cords in the older adult’s walking paths, stairways without proper handrails, no grab bars in the bathroom, loose throw rugs, and much more
- If there are fresh foods readily available that are not beyond the expiration date, moldy, etc.
- Whether there are any signs of accidents, such as burn marks on the counters or scorched pots/pans
- Unopened mail piled up
- Dirty dishes stacked on the counters, or other indicators of difficulty with maintaining the home to healthy standards
Based on the results of the assessment, the home care professional can prepare a customized care plan that will outline the ways an in-home caregiver will help overcome any challenges being experienced. Often with only just a little support, seniors can continue to live and thrive at home where it is most comfortable, with enhanced safety to bring families peace of mind, while never sacrificing the senior’s freedom and independence.
Connect with Home With You Senior Care to schedule a complimentary in-home consultation to discuss elderly home care solutions for an older adult you love today! You can reach us any time at 410-756-0959 to learn more about our award-winning home care and dementia care in Ellicott City, Maryland, and nearby areas.