Did you know for every pound of weight we lose, we alleviate four pounds of pressure from our knees, and as many as six pounds from our hips? This is great motivation for everybody to keep active, regardless of age! In particular for seniors, however, who happen to be vulnerable to joint pain from arthritis along with other conditions of aging, incorporating a workout program to the day to day routine can make a sizable difference in decreasing discomfort.
- Get started with a warm-up. Before exercising, your loved one must always begin with gentle bending and stretching moves; for example, reaching up overhead, bending down and touching the toes (or as close as possible without causing discomfort), side bends, and moving the arms in slow, wide circles.
- Swim a lap or two. Swimming is an excellent low-impact cardio workout, and simply being in the water is incredibly relaxing for your mind and the body as well. Locate a senior swim class, or possibly accompany your loved one in swimming one or two laps at his / her own pace.
- Get in some resistance training. Lifting weights can be accomplished any time and any place and at nearly every fitness level. Resistance bands, hand weights or even bottles of water are great for building upper body strength. Your loved one should start light and progressively work up to an elevated difficulty level – again, with guidance from the medical professional.
- Take a hike. There is nothing quite as stimulating and rejuvenating as taking a walk outdoors, when weather allows. Walking through the neighborhood supplies the added benefit of socializing with neighbors on the way; or choose a wooded trail to savor the quiet beauty of nature.
- Try something new. Check with your local senior center or gym to find a class your loved one might want to try, such as yoga or tai chi. Register for the class together and get the additional advantage of creating some fun new memories with the senior!
At Home With You Senior Care, the leaders in home care in Columbia, MD, it is our objective to help older adults enjoy life to the fullest, and also to continue to be as active and engaged as possible – boosting both physical and emotional wellbeing. We are always readily available to supply senior transportation and accompaniment to workout classes as well as other activities of interest in Columbia and the surrounding areas. Email us or call us at 410-756-0959 to take the first step in assisting your senior loved one achieve a healthier and happier quality of life!