Choosing the best care solution for a senior family member is one of the most important as well as daunting decisions you will face. Ensuring the safety and security of the older adult is extremely important, but there are some additional factors to consider as well, for example, if the older adult’s quality of life and capacity to thrive and remain independent will be a top priority.
AARP offers an invaluable checklist of questions to ask when exploring caregivers for seniors, such as:
- Is the agency licensed?
- What services are provided?
- How long before services can begin?
- Are caregivers trained and knowledgeable?
- Is there a process in place for running background checks, bonding and insuring staff, supervision?
- What will happen if a caregiver does not show up on time (or at all)?
- Can a new caregiver be requested in the event that you don’t like the one assigned?
- Are there any client testimonials or reviews you can read?
- Will your loved one receive a personalized plan of care?
- How many years has the agency been in business?
It is also critical to make sure the caregiver is a hired employee from a respected agency, as opposed to a contractor referred by a registry service, or a person hired through an online ad, because:
- Taxes along with other necessary federal and state requirements are covered. Hiring a caregiver independently makes YOU the employer, which means you are accountable for all taxes, unemployment insurance, worker’s compensation, etc., and, you will be liable for medical along with other expenses if the caregiver were to become hurt on the job. A professional home care agency assumes the role of employer for its caregivers, alleviating these concerns for older adults and their families.
- Comprehensive vetting and supervision of caregivers increases safety. Sadly, the chance of exploitation and abuse of older adults is enhanced when employing an independent caregiver, whether financial, physical, or emotional. Respected home care agencies provide supervision along with comprehensive background and reference checks, bonding and insurance, as well as other safeguards to protect seniors. Not just that, but in case a senior’s primary caregiver was ill or took a break for vacation, a similarly qualified and reliable replacement caregiver would be provided.
- Initial and ongoing training contribute to caregiver excellence. Agencies that provide comprehensive training for their care staff ensure that skills are constantly as sharp as they possibly can be, and that any new strategies established in the industry are utilized – meaning a heightened level of care over an independent caregiver who may not have the same opportunities for career development.
If you’re looking for trusted care agency in Manchester or the surrounding communities, Home With You Senior Care is pleased to meet all of these criteria and much more. As a proud member of the Briggs Home Care family of agencies, we are dedicated to meeting the diverse needs of our clients – from companionship and light housekeeping assistance to care for chronic and emerging health issues, and everything in between. We take pride in ensuring our team receives continuous caregiver training, to help you to feel confident in knowing our caregivers are top notch and continuously improving their skills, while offering the safe, dependable, and compassionate care necessary to make life the very best it can be.
Email or call us at 410-756-0959 to let us answer any additional questions you may have about our top-rated care agency in Manchester and the surrounding areas, or to inquire about a no cost in-home consultation to enhance quality of life for a senior you love.